To educate, inspire and prepare K-12 students, drawn from primarily underserved communities, to realize their tremendous potential and to become the leaders of tomorrow; and, for Old Sturbridge Academy to be a replicative model within the charter school and general public school community that facilitates best in class, multidisciplinary training, and residency opportunities for current and aspiring educators.
As an EL Education school working in partnership with Old Sturbridge Village, Old Sturbridge Academy Charter Public School provides students with rigorous, real world learning experiences in a supportive and nurturing environment. Through project-based learning, case studies, field work and more, Old Sturbridge Academy fosters intellectual curiosity and encourages students to become articulate communicators, critical thinkers, and skilled problem solvers who care for themselves, others around them and their communities
Our Mission - simply put - is to educate, inspire, and uncover the inner genius of young learners through real world learning and project-based experiences, and prepare them to be the future leaders of tomorrow.
How we pursue our mission is shaped by our core values. Some of these values are a continuation of those established at the founding of the Old Sturbridge Academy Charter School. Other values reflect additions as we have matured. In all cases, these values are what we believe in, and they guide what we do and how we do it.
- Student Centered – we exist to serve our students, developing confident leaders who value knowledge, creativity, critical thinking, and curiosity, all with a larger world perspective
- Accountability – we recognize and respect that we are obliged to demonstrate fiscal responsibility, operational transparency and responsiveness to both our internal and external constituents
- Cultural competency – we encourage and celebrate individual as well as team-oriented thinking, approaches and perspectives. People, ideas and varied points of view and choices are respected, and we foster a supportive and inclusive learning and working environment where diverse voices are heard and shape our programming and outcomes
- Interdependence – working solo does not inspire us and collaboration alone is not sufficient. Instead, we have learned that blending and building on the strengths and skills of our leaders, our educators and staff, and our board members, makes for excellent outcomes and the highest quality work. We operate with a spirit of gratitude and camaraderie each and every day
- Continuous Improvement - we perform and deliver exceptional work with integrity and rigor. We do not however rest on our laurels, but rather, focus on the growth and enrichment of our educators and students.